View Single Post
10-07-2009, 02:03 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

Originally Posted by textz View Post
I'm not sure that this is a great way of dealing with the spam. Surely now, spammers will just wait for four days, not even have to bother posting anything and then start spamming.

I don't think someone becomes a spammer, JUST to be able to post in the marketplace - although that may be a factor in a small minority. The annoying people who spam (the iphones, computers, their sites) - come here to do that anyway.

Anyway, obviously I don't have figures to back that up - but what the staff could do, is actually look at the data in the admin panel - and try to understand the spammers. You must understand them to defeat them!

This seems logically, very clever - however it won't solve anything!
There are bots who spam and people who spam for backlinks, but they aren't as many as people who just want to get into the marketplace. This will stop crap posters who want to be in the marketplace. Other anti-spam measures are in the works, have a little faith

Originally Posted by textz View Post
Lets imagine the type of spammer whom this is trying to combat. Someone who just wants to post in the market place, without contributing to anything else, right?

Do we even want these members? Just selling cheap crap in the market place? If I was one of them, i'd say, great, I'll just wait four days, and I can spam the market place with my $5 designs. I'm not saying these types of rules can't work. But when you make it only 4 days, or 10 posts, it doesn't act as a deterant (which is the point of the rule in the first place) - make it 100 posts, require users to be verified or 25 days would work better imo!
Increasing the limit that much would chase away everyone, good and bad. There is no effective way to chase away the cheap crap sellers w/o having good sellers as collateral, but this will at least give them a more quiet way though.

On an unrelated note, I have 5,000 posts, nice!