View Single Post
07-28-2009, 03:13 PM
cdwise is offline cdwise
Software:

cdwise is on a distinguished road

Old

I don't really understand why anyone is asking "which is better Dreamweaver or FrontPage?"

I say this because FrontPage was discontinued by Microsoft in 2006. It is no longer offered for sale even so unless someone has an old copy or purchases a used one they can't even get it.

FrontPage wasn't a bad editor unless you used it the way MS promoted in full WYSIWYG mode and made abundant use of the webbots. Most of the really bad code in it came from pasting content in from Word which has truly horrible code.

Dreamweaver depending on how you use it can either produce extremely clean code faster than most people can type in Notepad -something I rarely use for more than a quick edit because I prefer to use code completion and have something that checks my spelling and syntax. However, if you bring content in from Word you do need to use Edit > Paste Special to prevent garbage from coming in.

Expression Web is the current web editor from Microsoft. As with Dreamweaver it checks your spelling and is faster than typing every attribute and css property. Also, like Dreamweaver you need to use care when you bring content in from Word to prevent crap from it creeping into your code.

Both programs have very nice tools for debugging css issues but if you prefer a plain text type editor use TopStyle which has syntax highlighting and code completion for attributes and properties.

What it comes down to is not what tool you use because you can make a bad site using any html editor including Notepad but what the person making the site knows and how they use their tools of choice.

Use the trial version of various web editors, find one that makes you more productive and produces the code you are satisfied with - that's the one for you to buy.

I use all of the programs mentioned depending on what I'm doing on a website. I also use both Macs and PCs so that I can adequately test on major platforms and browsers as well as accessibility.