View Single Post
12-19-2011, 08:12 PM
nj1 is offline nj1
Expertise: designer
Software: Notepad

nj1 is on a distinguished road

Old

Thank you for your welcome note and for your response.
I was actually answering a question on an older topic that has been closed. I thought I left a link but anyway, yes, I agree with you, the first question is to ask what are we going to do with it. Different tools for different purposes and also for different folks.

I believe that when it comes to Joomla and Drupal and also WP, it is a personal choice. My point was to concentrate on one and stick to it until we are really good at it. I did try Drupal about 4 years ago, then gave WP a try and finally I took a course in Joomla. In the end, I went back to Drupal (the new version) and I've been building sites with it. Prior to that I was coding everything from scratch which, with few exceptions, doesn't make sense anymore.

In the next few months I intend to revisit Word Press because I believe WP has its niche applications. As for Joomla, I find it to be a rival of Drupal and I have chosen Drupal because I feel more comfortable with it. No need to spend time learning both, it is best to become really good at one of these two choices.

It's my personal experience. Someone else might have a different point of view.
By the way, I don't think Drupal is hard at all, specially the latest version (7). Of course like anything else, a basic knowledge of HTML, CSS, Javascript and a bit of PHP go a long way regardless of which CMS we choose.

Thank you