11-13-2007, 12:02 AM
Bazza` is offline Bazza`
Expertise:
Software:

Bazza` is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by slavingia View Post
Not if he permission from an admin.

The only one who should get in trouble is Bazza for not telling the contest participants about the modified rule.

It does say in the rules that contests can be canceled.

First of all I'd just like to say I had spoke to Steve before the deadline as he was worried about the low number of entrants. I said to him that in cases where the staff believe there to have not been a sufficient amount of entries by the deadline then the contest can be canceled. Although I didn't speak with Steve or the staff after the deadline, I guess Steve had already made his mind up.

What can we do? We can't force people to buy something they don't want and at the same time we can't protect the members who have entered - thats the thing about contests.

Contests at TF used to be brilliant, I used to love entering them and thats why about a year a go I tried to add a bit of life back into the contests section but it just never worked. Contests aren't as popular as they were 3-4 years a go and for the most part people who do want a contest will go to SitePoint where they don't have to pick a winner regardless of how many entries they get which is another reason why TF's latest contests have all been disappointments.

To be perfectly blunt TF doesn't have the demand for contests anymore and we can't sustain them. We are talking over a few things in the staff forum about the Contests Forum and the Market Place in general and it is highly probable that we will soon lose the Contests Forum altogether which will be a massive shame as it was once a great part of TF's history but it's clearly not a part of TF's future, or it's present.

It's such a shame the contests forum has gone this way but it has been pretty isolated for a year or two now and the latest contests have shown that we can't sustain it and for our members sake it's not worth us trying to keep it going.

I probably shouldn't have brought that into this thread but there you go I thought I'd let you know what we are thinking, the contests forum has become a wash out and that pretty much sums it up

PS. Sorry to the people who did enter this contest, your time and efforts are appreciated I'm sure even if a winner wasn't chosen.