View Single Post
07-01-2011, 07:30 PM
PileDriver is offline PileDriver
Expertise: Programming, writing.
Software: Notepad, and VIM

PileDriver is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to PileDriver Send a message via MSN to PileDriver Send a message via Skype™ to PileDriver

Old

If it were up to me, I wouldn't disconnect the marketplace from the forum at all. Because I am not confident in my own abilities, I will offer some suggestions instead. I don't know much about vbulletin, but I know with PHPbb I was able to make mods. The marketplace should be an active part of the forum, but not in the regular sense of "make a topic, read responses, reply, etc." The marketplace forum should instead be separated into different categories of work (such as web development, software devlopment, etc), much like it is now. But the difference should be the form for submitting. Instead of the regular vbulletin topic form, it should be a "request freelancer" form, or "freelancer for hire" form. The form for requesting a freelancer should have a text area that describes what work the freelancer would be doing, another with the pay and way of payment, another with the area or amount of expertise that the requester is looking for in a freelancer, along with any comments or concerns. Requests can be opened or closed by the author, or moderator. An application form should be included in the request (or topic, for lack of better word), that includes an area to send a portfolio and any other important factor needed to look impressive. The idea behind having it still connected to vbulletin is for freelancers to gain some sort of notoriety, or reputation. A requester can select any number of applications, and be able to submit testimonials about the freelancer hired after work is completed. I haven't been here long enough to know what "iTrader" is, but I'm sure it's similar to what I am describing. With testimonials and reputation, freelancers here have a much larger potential for becoming well-known or respected. It will also allow them to build a sort of public portfolio that they can link to on other sites, bringing more traffic to yours.

Just a thought.

Thanked by:
Artashes (07-03-2011)