Fez is offline Fez
Expertise: HTML, CSS, Wordpress, jQuery
Software: e-texteditor

Fez is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Fez

Old

Alright, let's get something straight.

MSN = Microsoft Network

MSN used to be an ISP as well. These days howver MSN is a network of different web sites and services provided by Microsoft. These services include Messenger, Hotmail, Sky Drive etc. To use these services you need 1 (ONE) Windows Live ID (used to be called "passport").

These services being offered are FREE and are being used by MAJORITY of the population for FREE. They however, do offer a paid version of Hotmail, but it isn't compulsory and it only removes ads and adds some storage.

There are more than 500 million active Windows Live IDs worldwide.

Worldwide, Messenger alone has 9 percent of total Internet minutes, compared to Facebook with 7.4 percent. (Source: comScore WW February 2010).

Not going to really bother explaining what Micro$oft has done, is continuing to do. Micro$ucks easily spends several 100 million a year, suppressing better/free opensource competitors ... esp linux.
Stupid troll. A company's marketing expenditure doesn't equal suppressing it's competitors. Microsoft has had enough pressure from FCC and EU and other moderating bodies to ensure that it doesn't take any anticompetitive actions.

As far as the OSs are concerned. Microsoft has worked to provide an out of the box experience for most users to be able to install their operating system smoothly and get it up and running. The devices that their OS is being installed on aren't under their control (unlike apple).

Agreed that vista was laggy and unresponsive and slow during it's early stages but it has been COMPLETELY smoothed out by Service Pack 2. (Service packs are Free)(Service pack 1 was good nuff).

Windows 7 recently passed the 150 million licenses SOLD mark. No one forced these people to purchase their products. In fact, let's look at some percentages:

Windows has 88.3% recorded market share. Let's make it 80%... just like that rounded down.
Linux has 4.6% recorded market share. Let's make that 10%...rounded up.
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

Right. So you are saying that 80% of the population is being forced/tricked into purchasing an inferior product where a superior product is available for free.

What are you smoking?

The US govt alone, could save an est 9 billion a yr by migrating to opensource. Im sure its actually more than that. But you probably dont realize, that 9,000 million dollars. Could be better spent actually improving the quality of life for people. Than going into software corps bank accts. ( Microsoft being one of the biggies.)
Go easy on the crack there dude seriously....Your bullshit conspiracy theories aren't going to work here.

The corporate solutions that Microsoft provides have had other "paid alternatives" for years. The market is free for any competitor to take.

Actually I don't know the source of your estimate (your ass maybe?) so I cannot comment on what sort of government expenditure is being talked about here. But seriously go back to your hole troll.

I've used (Ubuntu & Fedora) it is great the type of progress these products have had and I am happy for them. I don't see them competing with Windows. The amount of R&D that goes into every release. I'm sure linux would be great too if it had the kind of (monetary) backing Windows currently has. But that's business.

oh and:

Also their $oftware suks, requiring constant updates ... sec patches ( not by accident.) Is invasive ... collects data about you. Costs alot and are system resource hogs from hell, lol.
That is the stupidest thing I've read in my entire life. You are bragging about Linux so much i'm surprised you even brought this up. Most Linux distros have bug trackers and SVN setup to work on the OS. Updates are released nightly even.
Updating the software and dealing with bugs is how many products evolve.

As for your invasiveness and collecting data. Prove IT!

Freaking Vista for example advises roughly 1 gig of RAM, just for the f'ing OS. LOL, other than these and a few 1000 other things. The folks at micro$oft are great people.
1 Gigabyte of ram is not for the OS alone. I have a vista machine right here running on 1 gigabyte of DDR2 Ram clocked at 833MHZ. P4 3.6ghz. It runs fine. I have Office 2010 installed on it, no problems.

Not to be harsh....but you trolled.