View Single Post
04-07-2013, 06:21 PM
vVv is offline vVv
Software:

vVv is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Salathe View Post
Your mistake was coming to TalkFreelance and looking for replies!
true i guess lol.

Originally Posted by Village Genius View Post
A forum I was once involved with was considering restricting registrations based on IP location. People outside of the allowed countries could apply for membership and would be granted such if they looked like an asset to the forum. This stemmed from an observation that the vast majority of these users came from common outsourcing destinations.
Ah, kind of like... blocking IPs from known spam countries, but not actually banning those IPs? I usually don't do anything with IPs unless I know for fact, they are spammers. Then I block/ban their IP ranges. Cause there are some legit people from other countries, it's just all a gamble lol.

Originally Posted by Salathe View Post
"A forum I was once involved with" aka. TalkFreelance.

Back to Spencer, personally I would dislike being forced to make an introductory post of any kind before being allowed to become a member of a forum or website. I would dislike even more for the judgement of whether my first and only post was "spam or legit" to be the deciding factor of whether I can continue being involved or not.

Instead of putting barriers up for "normal" users of a website, I'd love to see far, far fewer in place! Signing up to websites is already a pain enough as it is. Don't make it worse just because of the spammers.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing actually. I always hated/disliked being moderated on IPB/IPS forums as new member / possible customer.. Each of my posts were moderated in the Presales section. I kind of brushed it off with the first post, but then any replies after were moderated as well. I never bought their software, nor did I go back again posting questions.

But after I thought about it longer, you're right, it's not fair to punish normal users at all, just because of the spammers themselves. And you are right too, about it being harder to join forums/sites as it is. Joining sites should be made as easy as possible. What I decided to do, is left the registered users, post freely as normal / expected. I just made it as per thread creation, gives them 15 points to account, and each post gives them 5 points to account.

Then to become "Member", in "Member" usergroup from Registered group.. is 15 points. Which gives them points for posting of course, and yet doesn't restrict them features/ functions either. Most spammers would be noticed and handled anyway, before the spammers would become "Member" as well. So registered users get/gain points, and another normal "Members" get points as well. So it works for me/staff, as well as members too.