Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

Originally Posted by Hero View Post
That makes it consistent with PHP
Aint that the truth.

Originally Posted by Hero View Post
I think wordpress simply got lucky. It was never praised for it's high quality code. Maybe there weren't many decent alternatives at the time. And I know it was easier to use than Joomla (or Mambo).

Not sure what you mean with the template system though. I'd say it's one of the few good things about it, quite easy to use.
The point of a templating system is to separate the PHP code from the style code. Wordpress mashes PHP and style together to where the template can make actual database calls, which is a big no-no.

Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I definitely don't agree with you on the "templating system." In fact I'm glad it isn't built on something ridiculously retarded (see: SMARTY.) You can either create your own functions to use or you can use those from WordPress..

Maybe I'm just used to it from over the years but WordPress' theming is the easiest thing I've jumped into.
You seem to be mistaking simplicity for quality. It is definitely more simple to go against the code/logic separation, but it is bad practice. Smarty is an awful implementation of this as it uses its own language and sometimes defeats its own purpose. I personally use Savant in all my projects that require a templating system.

Or perhaps I am going too far off of theory and mistaking unfamiliarity for poorness.