View Single Post
07-19-2007, 10:08 PM
amf is offline amf
Expertise:
Software:

amf is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
You cant just back out of something, giving a deposit has an implied understanding that there is no going back, you are decided. Giving a deposit is there for security, so he cant just walk away on you, whats the point if you refund it to anything?

AMF, you clearly have no understanding of how a payment structure works. Youve never designed/programmed for someone with a deposit, have you? All of your solutions require the programmer to get burned and the client to get everything, even though hes the one who went back on the agreement.
Sigh. I've been doing freelance work AS A BUSINESS for 17 years. Lots of time in there to make my mistakes. I have lots of happy customers. Never had to give a refund either.

Interestingly, I've worked with a number of graphic artists as well and NOT ONE has ever asked me for a deposit for their work. Beside the point, and likely not a valid data point to draw any real conclusions.

The point of refunding -- at least for me -- is that I truly believe the customer is ALWAYS supposed to be happy. Customer is currently out $40. No one is currently happy. Why do something if it makes no one happy? Is keeping the $40 really going to make Craddock happier?

For an amount so small, I'd just give him back the money and to heck with it and then try to get it back on the next person I sold it to. My time is worth more than the hassle he's currently going through.

Originally Posted by Charlie
Why should conrad hand over a 'valued at $80' website, when he's only received $40?..
Re-read Craddock's later post. The customer and he agreed that the site was worth $40 and the work was worth $40. My #2 item says give him the ORIGINAL site (without the extra work) for the $40 and call it even. I didn't recommend that, though.