View Single Post
02-09-2005, 08:54 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by DITS
hmmm I'm not convinced by your sweeping statements such as but you made a few good points.

Man I wish you'd used a spell checker. If this was a page in a book I'd want my money back. I'd be totally convinced that the person writing it had just whacked it out without giving it time and making sure the presentation was high quality.
that's ecaxtly how it was played out, so i don't blame you.

taking the time to spell/grammar/punctuation check an opinionated 'rant' and something i expect to present to the public eye in a professional manner, such as a book, or an actual article for a real e-zine are totoally different. i'll be more careful in the future for you.

Originally Posted by salathe
I have a long response written up at home, unfortunately I've not been able to post it here yet but may do so soon. There are a number of issues with this article which misguide readers. Do you even use the word "semantic" anywhere?..
i agree. there are a couple things i wanted to expand upon, but would have sent the article in the wrong direction.

i may write up those seperately, and rework this one to refer to them, so it relates, but gives a clearer view to the reader.

as for semantic, i could go on for a while about semantic markup, but that wasn't the issue i wanted to discuss. that's a whole new one i'd like to jump into.

as for anything being misguiding. i wrote it over a long period of time, and i usually end up ranting in short intervals, so i'm sure i twisted the direction of this back and forth. i'll clean it up as i write out some new ones.

in the next couple days (since i have nothing to do for the week), i plan to write about:
  • the dis/advantages to xhtml + css against the previous html only methods.
  • tables vs tableless (the concepts are limited to xhtml only)
  • semantic markup vs the w3 - using the h# tags as heading isn't required, but it's better
  • misconceptions to the prevous theories (this article re-written)

if anyone can think of some other subjects, feel free to suggest them, or write one yourself.