View Single Post
01-08-2012, 03:11 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

with every one of these i see you posted, it's clear you've got a solid handle on the effects side of design, but imo your type always falls short - it never looks like it receives the same amount of love everything else does:
  • both sets seems very flat in comparison. it's obvious there's *some* lighting applied to them, but i'm unable to tell if it's something for the text alone, or simply the other elements' effects bleeding over top.
  • i've always been curious about your typeface choices

'Rob Hound' - i can't remember the name offhand, but i know i've seen it numerous times before. while i'm not normally a fan, i actually think it works here, it just feels under developed. generally i think simple & simple go together and complex & complex go together. with everything else having its own set of lighting & glows, it feels like the name here was just left behind. there's clearly an order of depth between rob, the phone and the girls, and the type gets lost in that order as a result imo.

'google me' - i like how the concept is carried through by imagery, to me the font is lacking personality, both for the same flatness feeling mentioned above, but this time, i also don't like the family choice. it looks like a modified century gothic, and i think CG looks awful just about every time its used. maybe i was poisoned by the 90's scene, but to me hip hop is all about being in your face, and century gothic is a very safe, conservative font family. you don't want to go overboard and using a display font like you did for the name, but something more squarish or more condensed would fit in more imo.

i'm also a big fan of not separating titles. realistically, when you think about how you're labelling this album, it reads like "Rob Howard - google me" - primary heading (rob howard) secondary heading (google me). it feels weird in this case that they're broken up. for fun, try moving Rob Hound, over top of everything, and pace it where google me currently sits, maybe drop it a size, then immediately underneath it, maybe half the size, have google me - think something like this