View Single Post
03-23-2005, 07:53 AM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

my teacher butchered the art of digital creation with his first 2 assignments last semester:
digital painting
  • very first assignment of the year (year 1). already a bad start
  • 60% of the people have never used photoshop (they never came back this semester)
  • the lessiosn prior to the assignment went something like this:
    • this is photoshop.
    • these are the basic tools: *marquee tool, *move tool, *magic wand, *brush
    • this is a layer
  • do photo realistic digital painting of this ps7 sample bear image in 1 week using only 3 layers. 20% of final mark
^way2go.

photo realstic illustration - totally butchered
  • first assignment after 'introducin' illustrator (same day)
  • 90% of the people have never used illustrator (or the pen tool before).
  • *bans use of gradients, gradient mesh and other effects like shadows and such.
  • REQUIRES the image first be taken into photoshop posterized at a high level then imported intol illustrator then to trace the mops of colour with the pencil tool.
^anyone who has ever done illustration is now contemplating killing themselves.

being extremely pissed off with his lack of doing anything i got the idea to create two websites called paintmybear.com and vectorthis.com to rant about the terrible quality of this college program and do all i can to either destroy it or fix it. being a procrastinator i stole vectorthis.com for my company name since i like vector art the most and use the pen tool a lot.

*unfortunately the course has only gotten worse, and it's gotten to the point where i'm going to begin writing formal complaints to the registrar instead.