View Single Post
10-08-2006, 07:36 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

with respect, there's nothing wrong with the wysiwyg editor, the problem lies in the user: they don't know how to use it.

put a civilian with no training into a bulldozer and tell them to dig your house's foundation. it's going to go to hell because they have no idea how to operate the machine or what things to keep in mind when digging the hole. your foundation is going to be useless and your house will fall apart if you try to build on it.

i hand code stuff at work, because i type faster then i point and click, and i find t incredibly easy. when i'm done, i move onto my next job. 2 weeks later when the client wants the page heading changed from Event Calendar to Calendar of Events, my boss doesn't want to waste my time, having me stop what i'm doing (potentially destorying my train of thought) to update it, so he opens it in a wysiwyg editor and tries to make the changes in design mode, and because he has no idea how i've structured the page, he has to do all this design fiddling and in the end, it destroys the page because he's fighting my css with <font> tags - so not only has my structure been ruined to get the thing to look like he wants, it applies all its other stupid logic to my code - putting <br> tags where my content is already wrapping on its own, and because i'm actually serving it as application/xml+xhtml it explodes and i have to go in and fix it.

it's all relative, but imo that's what's wrong with wysiwyg editors. when people actually understand html, they can turn out quality stuff. but most of the time, people turn to wysiwyg editors becase they don't understand html and how it works. that and spacer .gifs. learn to slice a site up properly, please. +)