View Single Post
05-13-2005, 05:08 AM
madpenguin2 is offline madpenguin2
Expertise:
Software:

madpenguin2 is on a distinguished road

Old

I'm a programmer in the US... and I do mostly php work. There are an immense number of php sites on the net. Many more the asp or .net. All you have to do is look at what servers run the internet to know that MS does not have a chokehold on the web programming languages. Even sites as large as yahoo use php

http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news...le.php/1491221

MS asp.net from what I understand is a huge leap forward in terms of speed. the 'regular' asp was quite slow.. In fact, I changed a bunch of web apps to php for companies strictly because of the speed gains.

Yes, large companies tend to use asp.net, c# or jsp.. Their IT departments tend to be run by the 'good old boys'.. Guys who buy MS's marketing.. But remember, the 'young' programmers are using php/mysql.. someday, they will be running the IT departments..

As far as outsourcing. Only large companies really have a cost advantage to do it. It's difficult enough to manage a group of programmers down the hall. Try managing them halfway around the world. I personally believe there will be an outsourcing backlash (my opinion).

While, I'm not getting rich (yet) freelancing, I see a future where I will be able to put my skills to good use creating software. For me, it's not about money (although it helps). It's about knowing I created something from scratch. To know that I did it, I created it.. It's pride.. Kind of like being a father...

Brett