View Single Post
11-17-2012, 01:24 PM
Lowengard is offline Lowengard
Expertise: all editorial, bsns consulting
Software: zotero

Lowengard is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Thanks for the shout-out VG.

Regina, standard practice with this kind of writing is to link the price to the number of words in the final document. What the per-word number should be will depend on what exactly you're asked to do. Lightly edit and proofread only? Provide analytic headpieces or comment to each speech? Turn the speeches into a cogent, multi-chapter book? Format the document and deliver "camera ready?" Will you have to source pictures or get permissions to use them? Compile an index or bibliography? Do research into the history of the company (beyond reading whatever is on their website)?

If you look around the internet you can find examples of price structures for writers/editors that might guide you. But remember that there is no "going rate," only what you need to earn.

If you're completely in the dark about what to charge then try this.
1. Figure out what you would need to earn in a year, if you were a freelancer. Don't forget to add in social security, taxes, insurance, etc.
2. Divide that number by 1200--a hopeful number of the hours you are available to bill in any year, given such things as holidays, vacations, illness, and the need to do many things for which you won't be paid directly. (By that, I mean administrative work, meetings, finding clients, etc.).
3. If you have a lot of experience you might want to increase that baseline number. Don't decrease it because you're inexperienced--this is what you need to earn.
4. Think about how long it might take you to do certain tasks. Can you proofread and edit 6 pages/hour? Then your basic editing rate might be $[that number]/6. Or, for a per-word rate, $[that number]/1500. (For editing purposes, a page is still 250 words, no matter the margins or type size.)
5. I always advise against telling clients your hourly rate, because it leaves you open to arguments about why it's so much--no matter where you set it--and that's none of your client's business. I find it more useful to tie the price to the tasks I do, so if the client wants to pay less, I can delete some of the tasks.

And finally, just a note. I've been writing for a long time, and doing exactly the kind of writing/editing you describe here for more than 10 years. Taking 25,000 words of raw material to a good, publishable book in 40 hours, especially if you have no experience in the details of this kind of writing, is more hopeful than realistic. Unless they only want you to proofread and lightly edit.

Good luck

Thanked by:
SenseiSteve (11-25-2012)