View Single Post
05-29-2011, 08:14 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

I don't know the legal environment of the UK regarding child labor, but I am sure 13 is under the minimum age. I wouldn't worry about it, unless there they are actually trying to make you an employee no one will likely care. I would see these jobs as the same as the neighbors hiring you to mow their lawn. Nevertheless as lowengard suggested I would make sure. Other legal issues would include payment, you cant have a credit card or paypal account until you are 18. You'll have to use a parents paypal account (that is what I did until I turned 18).

Start with what you can do and continue, chances are you wont even be offered big jobs until you have a portfolio. Go to sites like this one and just offer your services. This takes time but can be done.

People will turn you down because of your age. Try not to bring it up. I used to lie about my age but in retrospect that could have put me in a bad spot legally speaking. Handle it how you wish.

As for currency, if you get paid by paypal it doesnt matter, I've been paid in US dollars, Canadian dollars, British Pounds, Euros, Australian Dollars, Yen and many other currencies. Paypal translates them to whatever currency you use. You can go to http://xe.com to translate currencies at the current exchange rate.

Finally, don't get excited when you see a four figure digit. A high paying job means there is a lot to do, spend four weeks on a $1,000 project and you've only made £3.70 an hour. Try to figure out how many hours you will spend on the project and go from there.