View Single Post
07-03-2008, 04:38 PM
rsrobbins is offline rsrobbins
Software:

rsrobbins is on a distinguished road

Old  ASP.NET for Web Designers

I'm a freelance ASP.NET web developer looking to transition to more web design work. I've noticed that there is very little interest in ASP.NET in the world of web design. Web designers appear to do very little "coding" except for CSS, which isn't a true programming language. I've been reading web design blogs and browsing http://www.designfloat.com/, a DIGG site for web designers, and I don't find anything about ASP.NET. There does seem to be a little interest in PHP because many web designers work on themes for WordPress.

I'm beginning to feel the need to acquire web design skills or at least collaborate with a web designer because there are many opportunities that require you to straddle the worlds of design and code. For example, widgets are based on simple HTML and JavaScript but you need an aesthetically pleasing design. I don't see many web design articles on widgets, possibly because they require some coding.

AJAX requires you to get fancy with the user interface but although there is plenty of support for the complex JavaScript, I don't find much information on the design aspects of the user interface. Web designers are curiously uninvolved in this user interface revolution.

Then there is the Expression Blend and Silverlight technology which is going to extend ASP.NET into Rich Internet Applications. Silverlight is going to require some design skills combined with coding skills but I don't see much interest in Silverlight in the design community.

I could go on and on. Basically, I see a lot of opportunity for collaboration between freelance developers and freelance designers. Do you know of any web sites that try to facilitate a work relationship between these very different worlds?