View Single Post
04-17-2012, 12:34 PM
Lowengard is offline Lowengard
Expertise: all editorial, bsns consulting
Software: zotero

Lowengard is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Judy

Offhand, I would say you should not assume that anything posted on the internet about work possibilities is accurate and up-to-date--unless you can verify the source.

It sounds to me as if your husband would benefit from some very personalized career counseling, a program that would assess his aptitudes and determine a working path for the next 40 years or so. ;^) He probably should consult with someone who has the ability to analyze labor statistics and forecasts in your region as well as the ability to understand his skills. If this is job retraining owing to health consultations may be covered by insurance.

Is there a reason your husband can't go back to school to obtain appropriate credentials? As you note, people who enter a field in its early days can grow with it in ways that aren't open to later entrants. A certificate or degree might provide your husband (and potential employers) with the confidence he now lacks* and contacts that might lead to jobs. 20+ years ago when I worked on a degree in England people were always asking me if I was accompanying my children at Uni because mature students were very unusual, but my understanding is that it is now commonplace.

*why isn't he asking these questions, by the way?