11-07-2005, 05:53 PM
Lord Kalthorn is offline Lord Kalthorn
Expertise:
Software:

Lord Kalthorn is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn

Old

Originally Posted by Jhin
The partnership between Google and Sun can lead to several more things than their addition of the Google Toolbar to the JRE (java runtime environment), which will allow it to be added to their products. Though they have not announced anything along this line yet, there have been rumors about them developing a web based version of OpenOffice.

Both Sun and Google are being vague when it comes to discussing their plans for the future, though it is obvious it will involve java and the web. And according to several articles on the Sun Microsystems website they are still quite involved in the development of OpenOffice.

October 4, 2005 - Press Release on Sun's Website
Sun Microsystems
They added the Google Toolbar to the Java Runtime Environment?! I didn't even know that. That is insane, radiation has made Sun go mad. I suppose being smashed up my Microsoft so bad makes people do crazy things, they do need the money after all, and they don't care what crap they send out with the Runtime. Blood money, is what it is. Like P2P companies installing Adware with their Systems.

Hmm... I didn't know they were doing anything with it after it stopped being Star Office. I really am getting pissed off with dead companies throwing man power at Open-Source as their last ditch attempts to salvage a bit of a software market that forgot they existed years ago. I suppose a Google web based Open Office wouldn't be too hard to do. Considering the lack of features it has already. Telerik's RAD Editor is web based and is pretty much everything Open Office's Word Processor is.

Originally Posted by Jhin
I freely admit that Sun's Software development days seem to be diminishing, but as I said before...We'll see what happens; this partnership could revitalize them in an unexpected way.

Personally, I'm hopeful for competition and innovation. I have to teach the Microsoft Office suite at my day job and I get to hear first hand the complaints that students have over usability. Perhaps this will lead to some better products from both Microsoft and Sun/Google.

Cheers
It could, but we both know it is not going to. Google are not going to push too much resources into an Open Office on the Web, because it is Open Source already, they cannot make money from it. They could probably put it on their site and have Ads on it, but it would be put on any other site anybody ever wanted it to be put on, and it would never make the money that was put into it. Ultimately Google are scum, they will not stay the distance with something that won't make them money. They will only stay with it as they are now, to start this kind of conversation that Microsoft are behind.

The competition is great, the innovation is much better than it was. Office 12 will be far better than it would have be for the competition, and other things are much better for it. Especially the reshake at Microsoft, it is not really far enough but it is good

I'm more of a Tea person, but I suppose it will do

Originally Posted by Jonny
Bull****.
My God! There is a genius in the house!