View Single Post
09-29-2012, 03:42 AM
Mauro.Casas is offline Mauro.Casas
Expertise: programming, wizardy
Software:

Mauro.Casas is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to Mauro.Casas

Old  Are we getting knocked down by starters?

Hey guys!

It's been a long time since I posted here.
I always have thoughts that go back and forth in my head until I decide to put them out to the world, per se.

So now, my most current thought was about how mid-skilled developers and freelancers are charging so little for work.

Why I think this is bad? (This is my opinion of course )

We, freelancers who have been around for some time, are sometimes lost against this low quote. Maybe we charge 3000$ dollars to develop some sort of system for someone, and then, (no offense to Indian people), Indian people charge 400$, and the people who's trying to get the job done and don't know much about what involves in the correct development of an idea, they decide to go with the lowest quote.

This makes us look bad, and people goes "OOOH NO; you charge TOO MUCH! TOO MUCH!", believe me, this has happened to me and I'm pretty sure a lot of you have gone through something similar.

And also, a lot of those people hand out terribly bad projects, I have had to fix two sites that were badly developed, and believe me, they were really really bad, I would feel bad about myself if I ever hand out something like that.

And now, I see new users from TF (more than welcome, I hope there were more!) getting into this trend of "charging little, doing much"..

For those who do that, YOU'RE GIVING YOURSELF OUT.

Think about the time you invested to learn and polish this skills.
I've been working since I was 15, I'm 21 now and it's a non-stop learning curve. You can never know enough, there's always something new and exciting to learn. Some of us, aside of time, we invest a lot of money into our knowledge. Me for example, I spend around 300-400$ monthly dollars on books and different courses I find to like for myself.

That's my two cents for now.

I'd like to hear from other users.