01-10-2011, 12:34 AM
meltingwaves is offline meltingwaves
Expertise: designing, blogging
Software: Adobe Creative Suite CS5

meltingwaves is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to meltingwaves

Old

Sani,

I believe that the best way to get new design inspiration is to completely remove yourself from the design scene all together and take the time to view the world around you. I find that I get a decent amount of inspiration when I'm browsing other artist's works online, but I get even more inspiration when I'm far away from my computer and the internet in general.

I like to go outside and meditate, when the weather permits, and I always keep a notebook and pen beside me to jot down creative ideas I have along the way. When you remove yourself from everything design-related in your environment, you begin to subconsciously take in design-related elements in the world around you.

I was once thinking of a new idea for a t-shirt I wanted to design and I was browsing various t-shirt galleries online to get inspiration. They were all very cool, but for some reason, there was just a block between seeing the inspiration and getting inspired. I went outside with my notebook, and begin to meditate in my backyard, even though it was a bit chilly outside. When my mind had cleared, I opened my eyes and saw that it was snowing. I witnessed the beauty of the snow falling on the earth around me and then for some reason I just immediately remembered always being told that no two snowflakes were ever the same. I imagined that it would be funny if snowflakes all had personalities and how it would be even funnier if two of the same snowflakes bumped into each other. Imagine their reaction! I then designed a shirt that had a bunch of different snowflake designs on it, and in the middle there were two identical snowflakes shocked to be looking at one another.

Do you see how completely removing yourself from the design world can inspire the most creative ideas? I'd definitely advice trying it out. Good luck my friend.