View Single Post
01-06-2011, 10:39 AM
choc is offline choc
Expertise: Design
Software: Photoshop, Illustrator

choc is on a distinguished road

Old

Hi. Can't say I'm a pro but I believe the method you mentioned is how we all start as designers (well, we have to start somewhere). The problem I've experienced on some occasions with this method, is getting "over-inspired". It may not be intentional but there is the danger of copying the inspiration. Yes, I may change the colors, a little repositioning of elements and stuff but somehow, it ends up a little too similar to the "source". It may not be obvious to others but then I would feel a little guilty. That's my sign I was over-inspired so I end up starting from scratch, which actually leads me to create something original. It's good practice, though. I learn faster and design better.

Another way I can suggest is to look for inspiration from other media or other forms of design. Like when designing a flier, why not look through business cards or posters. Or for web design, look through some photography. I sometimes get ideas that way.

Just my thoughts, and thanks for bringing this up. I'd love to know what the pros do too.

Grace