View Single Post
10-28-2009, 02:38 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

i get the idea, but the design is way too rushed. there's at least 3 different major styles going on:
  1. the blueprint idea itself is very mechanical. that's the point of blueprints: precision. this sets up a more serious, cold/calculated tone.
  2. the glossy, plastic, lensflared, chunky logo is very goofy and playful, which is why you often see this style on children's toys (think can wrappers and lego). this is pretty much the opposite of a serious, mechanical thing.
  3. then the folds in the paper, the handwriting, and the stains go in the reverse opposite direction. blueprints aren't ins perfect shape, and they often have writing and stains all over them, but the point of using a blueprint here is to show precision and attention to detail. some hand written comments here and there as accents to the blueprint sheet as a background piece are one thing, but they shouldn't be major interface elements.

also, if you're going to the first person, "realistic view" with the post-it note, stains, phones and pencils on the paper, like it's actually sitting on the desk, you can't introduce plastic shiny objects floating over top of it (IE the logo & menu) because that would never happen. same with the email form. you might tear holes in the paper (IE use an inner shadow) but you'd have see floating white boxes.

the blue is also too sharp for my tastes. i wouldn't want to read anything of even medium length on that. it's just too strong.

stay with the concept, but take a step back and really plan your idea out. sometimes winging' it works, but you're falling back too much on old/easy habits that don't fit the idea (IE the menu & logo)