View Single Post
12-21-2007, 02:01 AM
Seb is offline Seb
Expertise:
Software:

Seb is on a distinguished road

Old

To be specific:

If you aren’t a member of any forums, I suggest you take a look at Talkfreelance. It’s a fairly friendly design community that I’m a part of, and there are some really great designers there who know their stuff. It’s got an active marketplace where you can post ads as well as selling some of your old work.

Just because you’ve got your portfolio online doesn’t mean that people will start coming to you. This isn’t like fishing where you can have a piece of bait and hope you get a bite. You need to be proactive. Sometimes it may seem that some designers don’t have to do ANY work and STILL get plenty of projects. However, the opposite is quite true. Freelancers who are at that level continuously post ads, complete projects, update their portfolio, and write a blog (if they have one). All of this contributes to being proactive.

If you don’t update your portfolio consistently, people will stop visiting it, and you’ll stop being noticed. If you don’t post any ads, how do you expect to get found? You need to go ahead and look around forums and bid for jobs. There are plenty of programmers or entrepreneurs who are just dieing to find the right designer with the best prices. Don’t be afraid to answer an ad … writing a Private Message can take you about 5-10 minutes, but could mean hundreds of dollars in the end.
I do love the site though. Very envious I must say.