09-24-2007, 10:59 PM
Choco is offline Choco
Expertise:
Software:

Choco is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Choco

Old

Originally Posted by derek lapp View Post
that's what i was trying to get at, as a lot of the people who are so anal about divs over tables are inexperienced and act like divs = automatic better just because it's divs.

i had to use a table for our company web site, because it's supposed to be dead centered, and css centering cut off the menu for anyone on 8x6 or viewing in a restored window and a table was the only way to enforce the height and force a scrollbar when the site was bigger than the window.
If you had asked in the XHTML/CSS forum, I'm sure many people (as well as myself) would have given you the necessary CSS to dead-center a layout in a browser no matter how small it is. Without tables.

Also, tables are SUPPOSED to be dead. A long time ago, when the web was new; a guy at CERN invented the hypertext markup language (or at least the basic concepts that lead up to a version of it). Later on, tables were introduced for sharing tabular data over the internet. It was revolutionary! Then some smart guy decided to take his image program and combine it with the web. Slowly, people figured out that you could use tables to position images, making the appearance of great layouts. Unfortunately, standards-compliant browsers also started to slowly become more standards compliant as they progressed, making tables obselete since one line of HTML would be 4 lines of table with the correct CSS. The end. >_>

STOP USING THEM!