View Single Post
06-27-2007, 07:18 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

Originally Posted by wiki
# Level 3 applications, the most "Web 2.0" oriented, which could only exist on the Internet, deriving their power from the human connections and network effects that Web 2.0 makes possible, and growing in effectiveness the more people use them. O'Reilly's examples were: eBay, craigslist, Wikipedia, del.icio.us, Skype, dodgeball and Adsense.
# Level 2 applications, which can operate offline but which gain advantages from going online. O'Reilly cited Flickr, which benefits from its shared photo-database and from its community-generated tag database.
# Level 1 applications, also available offline but which gain features online. O'Reilly pointed to Writely (now part of Google Docs & Spreadsheets) and iTunes (because of its music-store portion).
# Level 0 applications, which would work as well offline. O'Reilly gave the examples of MapQuest, Yahoo! Local and Google Maps. Mapping applications using contributions from users to advantage can rank as "level 2".
This isnt new at all, sites like amazon have existed since the 90's and would qualify as a level 3 (web 2.0) applications. Blogs and message boards have also existed for a long time, by definition they are web 2.0. The wiki article really advances my point. My claim that web 2.0 doesnt exist at all, rather is just a catchphrase is perfectly valid. The way I see it, web 2.0 is just a naming fad like iProduct, it will take the same path in a few years that eProduct did.