10-01-2006, 03:27 PM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

Originally Posted by twerq
Improvements have been made. Would like to know what you guys think about the following addition.

http://www.twerq.com/search.php?ac=news_100106

Thanks
Wes
Far from being the non-intrusive feature that you claim, I think that the 'autohiding' feature actually distracts me as a user. Why? When the page loads, the logo and extra info is visible right there at the top of the page - it's only when the page has fully loaded (ie, javascripts onload even is called) at the logo gets animated away. It is the animation, the disappearing of the logo which actually catches my eye since it's the only moving element and it's right at the top of the page - a prime area for the user to focus on.

All that is quite apart from the fact that people expect there to be a site logo in the top left corner and for it to be clickable - to bring them back to the homepage. You're hiding that useful, instinctual, piece of navigation from the user. Oh and maybe I'm blind but I can't find anywhere to show the logo again, permanently.

You state that the results come from Google and Yahoo, it would be nice to know which results came from where (or both engines).