View Single Post
02-22-2006, 02:39 PM
kork is offline kork
Software:

kork is on a distinguished road

Old

It's funny because I always used to think that consumers made decisions based on final dollar amount. Simple as that. If I'm cheaper than the next guy, I'll get the business. It took a marketing course and real-world experience to "understand" that consumers percieve quality with price, regardless of whether it's true or not.

I still like to think that a most expensive product is a better product. Television and advertising and marketing has trained my brain to think that way. I still won't buy anything inexpensive if I want good quality because my perception is that if it's cheaper, it's not as good or reliable and I'm looking for products to simplify my life, not complicate it. Funny part is this... I know this but my brain still associated quality with price!

Same goes for web design. Many clients will simply stay away from low prices because they feel it is an inferior product. It's human nature.

So next time you want to quote a job really low, think about this: If you charge the client more, they will think the product is better and you'll get more money for the exact same thing. It's all about perception. Why do you think companies such as Mazda, Sony, etc are willing to spend $200/hour with an agency to do their web design? Is the product better? nope. Are they faster? not necessarily... Think about it cause it's true. I see it every day.