View Single Post
02-04-2006, 07:02 PM
Matt is offline Matt
Expertise:
Software:

Matt is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Matt Send a message via MSN to Matt Send a message via Yahoo to Matt

Old  Free Hosting For TalkFreelance Members?

Hey!

As some of you might already know, I provide hosting to small businesses around my town. I don't have an online hosting business and probably never will as the competition is too high and I don't have the money to compete.

As my stay here at TF has lengthened, I've seen many young web designers using free image hosts like www.imageshack.us and www.photobucket.com. There is nothing wrong with using free image hosts to display your work. However, I don't think it provides you, as the designer/coder, with much versatility. It also doesn't have a very professional appeal, which in turn might turn away potential clients.

I'm wondering, if given the choice, would you like to have free hosting? There would be no advertisement. You would need to consider the fact that I couldn't give 24/7 support like some of the big providers because I'm not big, I'm only one person.

The signup process also wouldn't be automated because I would have to monitor my resources and make sure that my local paying clients get the service that they have come to expect from me.

There would also be some type of requirement.

Knowing all that, would you like to see this really happen? This in no way would be advertisement for me, because I don’t have an online-based hosting business. All my clients I currently have (which is very low) have come to me through word of mouth.

Please vote and post comments. Comments can include anything from what you would like to have, such as an Apache 1.x or 2.x or a LightTPD server, to why you think this would or wouldn't work out.