View Single Post
02-01-2006, 10:59 PM
schroder is offline schroder
Software:

schroder is on a distinguished road

Old

I've always found charges awkward because I have no problem charging $55 (an hour) for doing computer repair (which I used to do) because that is normal over here, but I can't see myself charging $55 (per hour) for creating a website driven by basic technologies (html, mySQL, php, XML, CSS, etc.).

At one point I charged $15, and then went to $25. I am still sticking around that, but I quote for my projects now and that is not like charging hourly.
Like what Tycho said it depends on the project too. Different clients have different needs and expectations.

I think its a good point asking how to afford software expenses and such. I'm actually running into that problem right now.

I think a lot of work fields face this problem and I don't see how it will change.

One point this makes me think of though is if you are employed under a business you get a raise for your improvements and doing a good job (for me it was a yearly revie). Even though you are the boss I think the same applies. After all taking on new projects you are not the same programmer you were a month ago.

By the way. I'm envious of the younger programmers out there. I wish I would have been making money programming that early.

Anyway, that is my 2.99 cents.